ldd on shared libraries?

Hi. I installed Debian/Sparc yesterday (converting this SPARCstation 2
from a RedHat machine :->). It was a bit of a struggle (neither the
boot floppies nor the network install seemed to work and I had to
kludge around installing the root tarball directly onto a hard disk
partition from the RedHat setup) but I got there eventually...

Anyway, having finally got to a reasonably sane setup, I noticed that
a few of the packages I'd find useful weren't in the archive, so I
thought I'd have a go at compiling them myself. [the package I'm looking
at is exim, plus the pcre library it requires].
I've worked around the missing rose.h and netatalk/at.h problem by
simply copying those files from (a) an unstable kernel and (b) the
netatalk source package. However, there are problems trying to
package a shared library because dpkg-shlibdeps tries to run ldd on
the created library, which gives the error
ldd: libpcre.so.1 exited with signal 11
This seems to happen with all the shared libraries on the system, not
just ones I've compiled. It doesn't happen if you run ldd on an executable.

Is this a known bug?

I'm using ldso 1.9.9-1, libc6 2.0.93-980414-1.

The problem doesn't seem to actually have any effect except to cause
the dependencies to be listed wrongly, AFAICT. At least, pgrep works
and it's linked against libpcre1.

Peter Maydell
[NB: I'm reading this list via the web archive, so ccing me in replies
will probably generate a faster response; thanks...]