Re: Arrgh, or, does anyone have a c++ compiler?

Anders Hammarquist wrote:
> I've just discovered that both libg++2.7.2 and libstdc++2.8 dump core with
> the new (980111) libc. It segfaults when it tries to do IO. Recompiling
> does not help, so we seem to be without a c++ compiler for the moment.
>
> Now the real wierd part is that old binaries (i.e. c++ compiled against
> the old (9712xx) libc) work fine for the most part.
>
> So, is it just me or does anyone else have problems with g++/eg++?
>
> (No, not even "int main() { return 0; }" works)

I recall I have had some problems when compiling libg++ with libc6 a while ago.
It was a conflict between libc & libg++ I/Os implementations.
The former creates a FILE structure that could be casted to an istream/ostream.
To do this, it adds a virtual table like those generated by g++ to the
structure.  However, there are 2 VT formats depending of a compilation option
in gcc (-fvtable-thunks).
libg++ configure program tries to detect which format is the default then
compiles or ignores its own libio implementation.
However, I don't remember how to resolve this problem, sorry.  And I lost all
those data after a crashdisk :-((
Take a look at the libio implementations of both libraries.

Hope this help.