Trouble with /dev/audio, PPP

Not to complain, since I've been really happy with S/Linux
so far, but I'm at odds to interface with /dev/audio at all.
Sounds support is supposed to work?

The other issue may be on my end, but I wanted to check for
any pre-identified bugs... I can use PPP to download and it
works well, but when I attempt to upload, we freeze up.

I'm working from 2.0.33 on a 4m (IPX) with 52MB real 52MB swap.