Re: Status of the new glibc

On 19 Jan 1998, Mark W. Eichin wrote:

> Is there any reason not to change the soname, if it's that
> incompatible?

	It's not incompatible with glibc-2.0; it is with older pre-2.1
libraries.

>  it's going to be *hard* to upgrade if we have to
> basically redo the last month worth of bootstrapping from scratch.  If
> we can use a new soname, I can deal with moving forward with this
> release... but if we can't do that, or the equivalent, I'd have to
> recommand *not* using this libc release until it does change enough
> (and stabilize) that an soname change gets made.

	H.J. Lu says it won't change that way again... I hope he'll
be right.

	Note:  I think all the programs will still work.  They will
only display 2 warnings when executing them.  If you want, that
warnings can be avoided...

--
Juan Cespedes