Re: possible bug in sparc libc6-dev

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Joey Hess wrote:

> phantglobs.h:67: macro `strcpy' used without args
> phantglobs.h:68: macro `strncpy' used without args
> make[2]: *** [main.o] Error 1

	Yes, I've had that problem with some programs, too.

> Fixes for this include -
>
> 1 commenting out the function prototypes (shouldn't hurt anything), but will
>   probably impact a fair number of packages.
> 2 compiling without -O2, which disables the macros.
> 3 fixing the include files somehow (one way is to just remove the macros, of
>   course, but that may slow things down, they appear to be optimized).
>
> I guess option 3 is best, if it's doable.

	I think we should do 1).  A program should not have any
function prototype which is in the libc; it should just include <string.h>
instead.  We had a similar problem with `errno', do you remember?

	And... we have a similar problem with many other functions.
For example, this program fails to compile with glibc-2.0 (the current
one used with i386), even without -O2:
#include <ctype.h>
extern int isalnum(int);
int main() {}

	So I think we can't do 2) or 3).  1) is the best choice.  And
I think you should would submit a bug report against the package with
that prototypes.

--
Juan Cespedes