Re: Freeing unused kernel memory

Aaron M. Johnson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I dig the penguin on the boot screen for the Debian/SPARC.
>
> Following the doc by Eric Delaunay on 28 Mar 97,
> I see boot messages with the last few lines being:
>
> 	Root-NFS: Got file handle for /tftpboot/129.237.131.76 via RPC
> 	VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem).
> 	Freeing unused kernel memory: 36k code, 4k data
> 	_
>
> We let this run over lunch (1 1/2 hours ?) but nothing else was
> displayed.
>
> Running nfswatch on the tftp server indicates a lot of nfs read/write
> hits coming from the Debian box (and I can hear the hard drive on the
> server)
>
> Can anybody diagnose this problem?  Thanks for your help.

Yes I know of this problem.  Some files are missing and another pb come from
tar.  I didn't have time to upload new boot-floppies but there is a
work-around:

1/ boot.tgz should be extracted using GNU tar on server host.  For instance,
   SunOS tar doesn't work well with devices, so they are extracted as regular
   files :-(

2/ device /dev/nfs is missing under /tftpboot/debian-sparc-root.
   You should create it by hand:
     mknod /tftpboot/debian-sparc-root/dev/nfs b 0 1

3/ You would be able to boot at this time, but do nothing else because fdisk
   binary is also missing.
   Get it from ftp://lix.polytechnique.fr/pub/Linux/debian/sparc/bo/disks-sparc/fdisk
   Then install it under /tftpboot/debian-sparc-root/sbin/fdisk
   (don't forget to set the executable bit on it).

Now I guess you will be able to install Debian/SPARC.
However, I heard that dselect doesn't work at all to install packages, so you
have to deal with dpkg.

Hope this help.
Bye.