Re: beta-testers wanted for new libc6 snapshot

Juan Cespedes wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Oct 1997, Eric Delaunay wrote:
>
> >   I compiled libc6 with success after I disabled new profiling scheme added
> > to the dynamic loader.
> > I uploaded binary packages to my local ftp site:
> >   ftp://lix.polytechnique.fr/pub/Linux/debian/sparc/exp
>
> 	Could you leave anywhere the .diff.gz used to build it,
> please?  I still haven't been able to build it.

Ok, I put it at the same ftp address.
The archive "glibc-2.0.90-970928.debian-tree.tar.gz" installs all Debian files
under "debian" subdirectory.
You have to apply the following patches manually (from debian/patches
directory):
	delf-20: kernel patch to compile in batch mode
	rtld-sparc: disable profiling
The termios-sparc patch is (partially?) obsolete.  Skip it.

> 	Strange... `tar' fails only when used with more than 4
> arguments... but that way it's unusable.

Wow!!!
I also discovered a problem with getenv() and __environ variable.  Not all
parent environment is available :-(

> 	It happens *always* when using 5 or more arguments.
>
> 	The constructors still don't work.  This little program
> doesn't print anything:

> int f() __attribute__ ((constructor));
>
> f() { printf("Hello, world!\n"); }
>
> main() {}
>
> 	(it should display `Hello, world!\n').

I guess the bug comes from linker.  Can you try a recent binutils (like
2.8.1.0.15)?

> 	Other thing:  less_332-1 doesn't work always... sometimes it
> fails with this:

> root@groucho:~# ldconfig -v | less
> less: error in loading shared libraries: : symbol .rem, version
> GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
>
> 	(but it may be a problem with `less'...)

Did you recompiled less with the new snapshot?
I think I made a mistake in the previous snapshot that put .rem in the shared
library.  In fact, .rem is only defined is libc.a then merged into the program
you compile at link time.

Bye.