Trouble with installation on SPARCstation 2

I am attempting to install the Debian distribution on a SPARCstation 2.

I have previously installed the RedHat distribution 4.2 with few problems,
but I would rather use Debian since that's what I use on my Intel systems.

Anyway, I successfully boot with "debian-vmlinux" and the "debian-sparc-
root" root directory via bootp, tftp, etc.  I copied the fdisk utility from
the RedHat distribution to have a usable fdisk for the Debian install
utility.  I can proceed with the install through creating and activating a
swap partition, and initializing and mounting the root partition.

But, after the new partition (/dev/sda1) is mounted under /target, the
install utility will go no further.  I'm assuming I only need to mount
the new root partition to continue, right?  If I try to select "Install
O/S Kernel and Modules", it complains that I haven't mounted a root
partition.  Technically, I haven't because the new root partition is under
/target, but that's the way it's supposed to be, right?

I also tried mounting the remote tftpboot directory as root, but the
mount command says that the block device my.ip.address:/tftpboot does
not exist.

I'm stuck and really confused.  Am I missing something simple?

Thanks for reading,
Owen