Re: Where's make?

Steve Byrne wrote:
> simon mackinlay writes:
>  > >
>  > > ftp://lix.polytechnique.fr/pub/Linux/debian/sparc/bo
>
> I started looking there, but the connection is *so* slow (you'd think you were
> connection to .au :-)

Oh sorry, surely the transatlantic line is in fault :-((
BTW, this stuff is out-of-date.  You have better look to any debian mirror:
the most recent stuff is installed under hamm distribution.

Davide Barbieri maintains its own packages at test.dei.unipd.it under
/pub/debian.  I remember there is a gcc & gdb (& make??) packages here.  But I
cannot connect to verify. Sorry.

>  > > The general feeling for the main debian-sparc thrust
>  > > is that they'd like to wait for libc6 to be released
>  > > before recompiling packages, but personally I'd really
>  > > love to have libc5.4 available - not only does it
>  > > contain NLS, but it also has numerous security and bug
>  > > fixes...
>
> I don't want to wait either.  It's cool to have things running on the NP0, and
> I also have a dual processor Ultra box that would make a good Linux SMP
> platform :-)
>
> Steve

However, libc5.4 is not available for SPARC.  There is only a libc5.3.12.
Davide Barbieri tried to merge patches for libc5.4 into this 5.3.12 with no
success.  Maybe you have more skills to do it.
But I think it's better to deal with 5.3.12 for old stuff and work on glibc-2
now.  I'm working on a glibc package but I have some pbs to build it.

Simon Mackinlay wrote:
> I've compiled enough stuff to put together a complete
> sparc hosted communications server - if someone could
> tell me whereabouts to upload, I'd be more than happy.
>
> Package list:
>       bind_4.9.5-1.4_sparc.deb             libdb1_1.85.4-3_sparc.deb
>       byacc_1.9-11.3_sparc.deb
> libgdbm1-dev_1.7.3-19_sparc.deb
>       cdtool_1.01-1_sparc.deb              libgdbm1_1.7.3-19_sparc.deb
>       deliver-2.1.12-2.deb                 libgpm1_1.12-2_sparc.deb
>       dpkg-dev_1.4.0.8_all.deb             m4_1.4-6_sparc.deb
>       dpkg_1.4.0.8_sparc.deb               make_3.75-4_sparc.deb
>       dpkg_1.4.0.8_sparc.nondebbin.tar.gz  mgetty-docs_1.1.2-1_all.deb
>       fdutils_4.3-6_sparc.deb              mgetty_1.1.2-1_sparc.deb
>       flex_2.5.4-2_sparc.deb               minicom_1.75-2_sparc.deb
>       gpm_1.12-2_sparc.deb                 ppp-2.2.0f-20.deb
>       ksmbfs_2.0.1-2_sparc.deb             qpopper_2.2-4_sparc.deb
>       less_321-2_sparc.deb                 samba_1.9.16p11-3_sparc.deb
>       libdb1-dev_1.85.4-3_sparc.deb        sendmail_8.8.5-1_sparc.deb
>
> nb: ksmbfs doesn't seem to work, it goes "oops()" as
> soon as I attempt to mount an SMB share...
>
> also, documentation in these packages may be missing,
> as some need formatting tools which I'm yet to compile.

Some of this stuff is already ported: dpkg*, libdb1, libgdbm, flex.
They are available in Debian under hamm/hamm/binary-sparc/...
I've also made available other packages at lix.polytechnique.fr under
/pub/Linux/debian/sparc/bo/experimental-sparc (make, m4, ppp, sendmail,
deliver, file, kermit) but I don't remember why I didn't move them to hamm.
Surely because some files are missing like documentation, ...

Now, I'd rather want not to upload any package you have linked with libc5 but
were already moved to libc6 in other ports.  We have to keep package numbers
in sync with other architectures and we can't provide 2 packages (one linked
with libc5 and the other w/ libc6) with the same release number.  In this
case, either downgrade the Debian release number for libc5 linked binaries or
upload packages to an alternate ftp site.  You can upload to
lix.polytechnique.fr under /pub/Linux/debian/Incoming if you want.
Moreover, don't upload incomplete packages to debian master site.

Regards.

PS: I hope I will release a libc6 package soon.  I uploaded a preliminary
  stuff to ftp://lix.polytechnique.fr/pub/Linux/debian/sparc/exp.  You can try
  it (if you success in downloading it ;-( ).  Remember you have to patch gcc
  specs file to be able to build with libc6.  I can send you such patch if you
  want.