missing tar in root.tgz

Hello,

	We are getting closer.  The boot problem has been resolved.
Tried to "Install Operating System Kernel and Modules" but it barfs
and restarts dinstall at the color/mono screen.  Did not see any error
messages...

So then we tried to unpack the base1_2.tgz and boot using localdisk
for root fs.

Where is tar ?  Cannot find it in root.tgz

Fine, so we unpacked tar from
lix.polytechnique.fr:/pub/Linux/debian/sparc/binary-sparc/base/tar*.deb
using another machine and put it in place but it was dynamically
linked (?) and so did not work.

Can somebody statically link tar and tell where I can get it?
Are we on the right track?

thanks,
aaron