Re: Debian Sparc Linux

> Ok, but you know. I can't access that directory: permission denied.

Hmmm.  It appears that the directory tree presented to anonymous logins is
not the same one that is presented to registered package developers.  Hmmm.

I'll see about getting you a login on master.

In the meantime, to help avoid duplication of effort, here's what I've
built so far:

	$ ls -R sparc
	README  Stage1

	sparc/Stage1:
	admin  base   devel  net

	sparc/Stage1/admin:
	cpio_2.4.2-8_sparc.deb  sudo_1.5.2-1_sparc.deb

	sparc/Stage1/base:
	adduser_2.11_sparc.deb       fdflush_1.0.0-4_sparc.deb
	ae_962-11_sparc.deb          findutils_4.1-12_sparc.deb
	base-passwd_1.2.0-3_all.deb  grep_2.0-9_sparc.deb
	debianutils_1.3_sparc.deb    gzip_1.2.4-13_sparc.deb
	dialog_0.9a-8_sparc.deb      modules_2.1.8-1_sparc.deb
	diff_2.7-13_sparc.deb        sed_2.05-11_sparc.deb
	dpkg_1.4.0.3_sparc.deb       tar_1.11.8-7_sparc.deb
	e2fsprogs_1.06-4_sparc.deb   update_1.2-1_sparc.deb

	sparc/Stage1/devel:
	dpkg-dev_1.4.0.3_all.deb

	sparc/Stage1/net:
	xntp-doc_3.5f-4_all.deb  xntp_3.5f-4_sparc.deb
	$

I've mostly concentrated on the packages that are in the new source packaging
format.  If you want to start by taking the "base" packages that I haven't
built and seeing if you can get Stage1 .deb's for some or all of those, that
would be a good deal.

> I have tried to install some packages found in 'bo' distribution;
> everything goes well; now I have an hybryd installation (some RedHat
> packages, and some Debian packages); what can I do now?

Great.  Isn't it fun running a mixed up system like this!  I strongly suggest
you back your system up once in a while, or at least make sure you've got a
rescue floppy or some other alternative boot media in case installing a Debian
package results in an unbootable system.  I'd be particularly careful about
installing some of the lower level "base" packages without due caution and
consideration.

One of the hacks I've pulled is to symlink /etc/init.d and the /etc/rc*.d
directories to their RedHat counterparts in /etc/rc/, so that as I install
things, like xntpd, that need daemon launches, they actually do the right
things.

> What debian for Sparc need?

Almost everything.  :-)  As of now, you and I are "it".

We need a complete set of base packages to build a base system from, and we
need enough of the devel packages built (plus other random things) so that once
we can bootstrap a base system, it can be a self-hosting development for
further package builds... and a clean rebuild of all of the low-level packages.

One really interesting question is which libc to try and build.  I know we're
moving to the glibc version 2 stuff for "libc6", and so that might be a good
way to go, except that I haven't looked to see if there's any debianized stuff
for that libc yet.

Thanks for signing up to help!

Bdale