Re: Debian Sparc -- when?

In article <[🔎] Pine.A32.3.95.961212154345.15442A-100000@e1.hrz.uni-giessen.de> you wrote:
: Is the SPARC tree in debian/stable as complete as the binary-i386 tree?

No.  It is essentially an empty tree, populated only with symlinks to the
packages which are non architecture dependent.

: I realize that
: there is an official release of Red Hat for SPARC which I should use, but
: I like Debian and would rather stick with it, so: will it work
: (already, soon)?

There are a couple of us with Sparc machines who are building up sparc .deb
files as time permits.  I think it possible that a Sparc distribution might be
part of the 'bo' release, but until/unless someone who is motivated enough
comes along and dives in, there is unlikely to be much greater urgency.  I'm
doing what I can as time permits to help jump-start the effort, but I don't
ever intend to be a Sparc afficiando or routine user...

Thos of us beating on Sparc are currently running Redhat 4.0 and using it as
a platform for cross-development.  If you need a "production" Linux environment
before bo, Redhat is probably the right answer.

Bdale