Re: Incorrect frozen version of package tzdata in Debian Snapshot

On Tue, 08 Dec 2015, Zoran Plesivcak wrote:

> After changing content of /etc/apt/sources.list to:
>
>     deb     http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20151102T010000Z/
> jessie main
>     deb-src http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20151102T010000Z/
> jessie main
>     deb
> http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian-security/20151102T010000Z/
> jessie/updates main
>     deb-src
> http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian-security/20151102T010000Z/
> jessie/updates main
>
> and running:
>
>     apt-get -o Acquire::Check-Valid-Until=false update
>
> most of the packages can be installed correctly, but e.g. openjdk-7-jre
> can't because of unjustifiable dependencies.
>
> I've tracked it down to the version of tzdata package which is not
> correctly set for the specific timestamp we want our snapshot to be at. For
> 2015-11-02 01:00:00 time it is expected that tzdata candidate version
> is 2015f-0+deb8u1, but it is actually 2015g-0+deb8u1. This makes all the
> packages that depend on the exact version of tzdata not being able to
> install properly (e.g. tzdata-java).
>
> Is this the problem with Debian Snapshot or with tzdata-java package (maybe
> shouldn't depend on the exact version tzdata package).

Snapshot, at this level, doesn't even know what a package is.  All it
does is provide you a view of what an archive server (ftp.d.o or
security.d.o) looked like on a filesystem level at the time.  Therefore
it seems unlikely that problems like this are bugs in snapshot.

Moreover, as I see it, tzdata and tzdata-java are at version
2015f-0+deb8u in the snapshot you mentioned:

| weasel@valiant:~$ apt-cache policy tzdata tzdata-java
| tzdata:
|   Installed: 2015g-0+deb8u1
|   Candidate: 2015g-0+deb8u1
|   Version table:
|  *** 2015g-0+deb8u1 0
|         500 http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates/main amd64 Packages
|         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
|      2015f-0+deb8u1 0
|         500 http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main amd64 Packages
|         500 http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20151102T010000Z/ jessie/main amd64 Packages
| tzdata-java:
|   Installed: 2015g-0+deb8u1
|   Candidate: 2015g-0+deb8u1
|   Version table:
|  *** 2015g-0+deb8u1 0
|         500 http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates/main amd64 Packages
|         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
|      2015f-0+deb8u1 0
|         500 http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main amd64 Packages
|         500 http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20151102T010000Z/ jessie/main amd64 Packages

Hope that helps,
Peter
--
                            |  .''`.       ** Debian **
      Peter Palfrader       | : :' :      The  universal
 https://www.palfrader.org/ | `. `'      Operating System