Re: Question about snapshotting Debian subprojects (e.g. neuro.debian.net)

Gah, sorry.  I keep wanting to rpely but it always falls through the
cracks.  Also, debian-snapshot@lists.debian.org would probably have been
the better place and might have given you a reply sooner.

On Tue, 11 May 2010, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

> > Today, while discussing the issue of reproducibility in scientific
> > research, possible resolution (snapshots) came to mind [1].  So we (me
> > and Michael, CCed) thought about rolling out tentative solution which
> > would deploy snapshots service and debootstrap with schroot to make it
> > possible for people to recreate their environments without hassle.
> > Moreover it could readily help in situation when people simply need to
> > run multiple versions of the same software, whenever there is no
> > built-in solution in Debian [2].
>
> > Although our goal in NeuroDebian is to package and ship relevant
> > software within Debian main, sometimes it is not possible; so from
> > neuro.debian.net we provide backports for stable release and for
> > people using a Debian-derived distribution called Ubuntu (if I recall
> > that name correctly [3]).
>
> > To accomplish the mission we see 3 possible solutions:
>
> > 1. Check with you either there is a slight possibility that you could
> >    provide n.d.n from s.d.o ;) (our preferable solution)

For having the trees in the /archive part that probably would not be
such a big problem.

What I do worry about however is what it does to the package view.  I
looked around a bit in the archive and it's not always clear from
looking at the version numbers that packages are not the original debian
ones.  Would that confuse users who search for packages by name?
Probably.  Maybe what is needed is for snapshot's package index to
remember in which archives it saw packages and their versions.  That'd
require quite some hacking and re-thinking but might be the Right Thing
to do long term.

One example for packages with "weird" or at least non-telling version
numbers is
http://neuro.debian.net/debian/pool/main/b/backuppc/backuppc_3.0.0-2.1~etch.apsy0.dsc
Most other packages seem to have .nd1. as part of their version string.

(And where is the source for
http://neuro.debian.net/debian/pool/main/b/boost/libboost-dev_1.33.1-4_amd64.deb?)

Also, I am not convinced we want any ubuntu packages in
snapshot.debian.org.  Let them set up their own snapshot or at least
provide some help and/or infrastructure with debian's.

> > 2. Employ backports.org to get into s.d.o at least some selection
> >    of packages, which got into testing already (less preferable, would
> >    miss all Ubuntu people, although that is not really of our preference
> >    to keep them)

That's always a good idea.  If you upload to bpo more people can benefit
from your work too.

> > 3. Try to roll out our own snapshotting based on your code
> >    (Least preferable since places too much load on us, not sure if we
> >    would manage to cope with it)

If you decide to go with that I can probably help out by answering
questions etc.