Re: only 1 font type size in netscape

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 02:32:53PM +0800, Wan Hing Wah wrote:

> But why we just defined it for ming ,kai and song,but not arphic?

  因为 CLE 也如此。  -default-ming-*- 每个 size 一大堆 aliases
就够了,连 -arphic-*-*- 也一大堆,就 double 了 alias 数量。
需知这是 Netscape 4.x 的 bug,我们这样每个 size 设了这一大堆 aliases 已经是
矫枉过正。再者,上一版的 .deb 就是定义了太多 aliases,所以 xlsfonts
慢了很多,也自然是浪费了宝贵的系统资源。

  请见 /usr/doc/xfonts-arphic-bsmi00lp/changelog.gz 里的 Rationale:

xfonts-arphic (2.11) frozen unstable; urgency=low

  * To Release Manager: As the changes are minimal, and it would
    reduce the overhead and improve the stability of the X server and
    X font server, please include it in potato.
  * Removed the number of aliases for the fonts.  There were 648 aliases
    for each single Chinese TTF font, most of them just for circumventing
    the font size glitch in Netscape 4.x.  No wonder xlsfonts was so slow.
    Mea culpa.  :-)  The number of aliases has been reduced to 88.
  * [README.Debian]: Added a note to tell the users to use -default-*
     instead of -arphic-* in Netscape 4.x for the Chinese TrueType
     fonts to be displayed properly.

 -- Anthony Fok <foka@debian.org>  Sat, 13 May 2000 02:54:17 -0600

648 aliases 乘 4 套字型就是 2592 个 aliases 了,现在减为 88*4 = 352 个,
轻磅得多而不减其功能。烦请各位遇著问题,先读 /usr/doc/*/README.Debian
等文档。

  不过,话说回来,我们将来应该加个 FAQ (常见问题集) 放在网站上,
因为忘记读 /usr/doc/*/README.Debian,也实在难怪,因为我自己遇上问题时,
也常忘了读。 ^_^

					东东

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada