Re: Help Wanted for dict-jargon

Michael Wiedmann <mw@miwie.in-berlin.de> writes:

> * Bob Hilliard <hilliard@debian.org> wrote [030830 15:33]:
>
>>      The jargon file is no longer distributed as a text file, which is
>> what I have used as source for dict-jargon.  The file has been
>> converted to XML, using the Docbook XSL. It is now distributed as
>> an HTML tarball and as a tarball containing the "masters and the
>> production tools used to generate HTML and TeX versions".  These are
>> available from http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/jargsrc.tar.gz and
>> http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/jargomn-4.4.4.tar.gz.
>
> The 'Makefile' includes a target 'jargon.txt'. Given you have
> installed the 'xmlto' package it should be quite easy to generate a
> text file out of the distribution tarball. You might have to figure
> out where some used tools (e.g. 'name-extract') come from.

     Thanks for your response.  'name-extract' is in the same
directory as the Makefile, so that is no problem.

     I have tried `make clean', followed by `make jargon.txt'.  This
generates over 4000 lines of errors, then hangs.  These errors are
primarily `entity not defined'.  jargon-web.xml (a prerequisite for
jargon.txt) is generated, but neither the intermediate file
jargon-web.txt or jargon.txt is generated.

     Where are entities normally defined?  The undefined entities are
primarily ones that I would expect to be standard - 'lsquo', 'rsquo',
'mdash', 'ouml', etc, so I would expect some standard DTD or
stylesheet would include them.

Regards,

Bob
--