Re: A question about xml DTDs

[cc'd debian-sgml list]

"James A. Treacy" <treacy@debian.org> writes:

> A question about xml DTDs. gnucash-help.xml uses
>   <!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
>   "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd";
> while in /usr/share/doc/docbook-xml/examples/test-4.1.2.xml
>   <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
>                "docbook/dtd/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd"
> is used.
>
> Should I try to convince to use just docbook/dtd/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd?
> If so, what happens on other distributions where they may not have local
> copies of the files? I'm trying to understand the issue enough so I can
> approach upstream intelligently.

First, terminology.  The names for the doctype elements are the FPI
(formal public identifier) and the SI (system identifier).

The standard way to refer to docbook files is indeed

  <!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
   "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd";

I should probably change the test files.  SGML catalog resolution will
use the FPI mapped to a SI as specified in a local catalog, assuming
the catalog has the stanza "OVERRIDE YES" prior to the FPI.  Thus the
local file will be used.  XML catalogs have similar arrangements, and
can contain a local interpretation of FPI as well as the SI (not sure
how precedence is calculated, however).

Assuming you want your docbook xml file to be portable across
different systems, then, its best to use the standard representation
as used in gnucash-help.xml.

--
...Adam Di Carlo...<adam@onshored.com>.......<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>