Re: /usr/lib/sgml

On Sep 16, Ardo van Rangelrooij (ardo@debian.org) wrote:
 > Neil Roeth (neil@debian.org) wrote:
 > > Is the directory /usr/lib/sgml deprecated, or perhaps even obsolete?  It is
 > > included in opensp as part of the default sgml path and /usr/lib/sgml/catalog
 > > is included as part of default catalog path.  On my system, everything in
 > > those paths is just a symlink to /usr/share/sgml.  If /usr/lib/sgml is
 > > obsolete, I'd like to remove any references to it from my packages before we
 > > release sarge.
 >
 > Hi,
 >
 > Have you perhaps been reading my web page about sgml-base usage (or the lack of
 > it):  http://people.debian.org/~ardo/PACKAGES/SGML/sgml-base.html ???

No, I hadn't seen it.  Now I have :-)

 > I'm going (albeit slowly) over all the SGML related packages to check their
 > conformance to the Debian SGML policy.  Since I've only picked this up again
 > lately and haven't checked that many packages yet, I haven't announced this
 > yet publicly and officially.  By theway, if you look at this page, please
 > ignore the "Old" stuff.  The "New" section has the results of my latest check.
 >
 > But since you're asking: Yes, /usr/lib/sgml is deprecated and we only have symlinks
 > in there (except for openjade1.3.  I'm not aware we already made the decision to
 > remove these symlinks.  Currently they're there for backwards compatibility.  That's
 > also why there still is a symlink to the /etc/sgml/catalog in there.
 >
 > If the people on this list think it's time to break this backwards compatibility
 > and really clean up /usr/lib/sgml that's fine by me.  I'll then put the code in
 > sgml-base to remove the symlink to /etc/sgm/catalog, remove the transitional
 > catalog and try to 'rmdir /usr/lib/sgml'.

I don't have a particularly strong reason to remove /usr/lib/sgml, but I
realized if we wait for sarge+1, then that will mean it will exist for a
couple of years more.  If we forget to do something we need to do for a smooth
transition, then we'd have to wait for sarge+2, which is probably a couple of
years beyond that.  If we can just delete it for sarge without significant
negative side effects, that'd be great.

 > It would also be nice in the maintainer of openjade1.3 (hi Yann) finally fixed
 > bug report #177801 to remove those files from /usr/lib/sgml.  Maybe this needs
 > to be NMU'ed.
 >
 > There are a couple of other issues with sp, jade and the like, but I haven't put
 > those on that web page yet (hint: empty directories).

OK, I'll do what needs doing for sp and jade.

--
Neil Roeth