State of the art in Docbook-XSL

I would like to know the current trend in XSL processing.  I'm
currently writing a document in docbook-xml using Norman Walsh XSL
stylesheet.  Especially, I need good catalog parsing and chunking
output support since many of my projects used special XSL/DTD
definitions.  My current setup used saxon+saxon-catalog for the xslt
part, with fop+xalan for the xsl-fo to PDF part. Is it currently the
best combinaison?  What about long term development?

I'm looking forward to try Xalan or xsltproc for XSLT transformation.
I would also like to try passivetex but aren't currently able to make
it work.  Any hints about them?  Should they worth the effort?

I would also like to use XML Schema but failed to find any PSGML-like
support for them.  Is any of you used it?  How?

Thanks in advance,
Fabien
--
Fabien Niñoles                              Debian Maintainer
fabien@debian.org                       http://www.debian.org