Jade/RTF problem?

I have a question about DSSSL stylesheets.  It is the first one I've written,
so there may be something obvious I am missing.

I created a document using psgml mode of Emacs, which nicely indents the
character data in an element, like so:

<para>
  My text here, wrapped
  around to multiple
  lines
</para>

I produce TeX and RTF from it, using "jade -t tex" or "jade -t rtf".  The
problem is that while the DVI produced by jadetex from the TeX looks fine, the
RTF output has extra spaces, corresponding to the spaces at the beginning of
the indented lines above.  The above example would look like this:

     My text here, wrapped   around to multiple   lines.

Note the extra spaces     ^^^                  ^^^

The extra spaces are in the TeX output also, so I guess the difference has to
do with how TeX and jade treat spaces.  How are the rules defined for jade?
It obviously has some default rules for handling white space, since it wraps
lines, meaning it handles the newline.  Is this something I can set in my
stylesheet for the "para" element so that it eats all white space and replaces
it with a single space?

--
Neil L. Roeth