Re: xml catalogs (Was: xmlto 0.0.7 and URLs)

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 07:44:14AM +0000, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > Debian has an xmlcatalog program, from the libxml2 package, but there is no
>
> Right, it's standard in the newer libxml2s.
>
> > mention of the /etc/xml/catalog special path.  Is it standard ?  What
> > packages make use of it ?
>
> Hmm, this could easily be debated some more, though I hope it won't be.
> The LSB spec has a section that covers SGML, and the current idea on the
> table is to use that section, s/SGML/XML/, and call that the XML
> addendum.  If we can ever get a consensus on that, it will be a
> standard.
>
> libxml2 and libxslt make use of it in their stable releases.  GNOME 2's
> alpha releases make use of it, and an XML catalog WILL be required for
> GNOME2.
>
> For what it's worth, I sent something tot he list about this a few weeks
> ago, which met with only silence.  :-(

I suggest we interpret that each silence as "doesn't matter for me",
and start filing patches to those packages - unless someone has
objections, that is.

First list of packages that would/may need xmlcatalog support:

sgml-data
docbook-xml
docbook-xml-simple
docbook-xsl
docbook-mathml
docbook-website
docbook-xml-slides
docbook-xml-jrefentry
docbook-html-forms
logidee-tools
flexml
gnome-doc-tools

BTW, I noticed while browsing that we still have obsolete packages
docbook-xml-website and docbook-xsl-stylesheets in sid - is there a
reason to keep them around ?

--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Free-Software Engineer				      Ingénieur Logiciel-Libre