Re: status of /ust/lib/sgml -> /usr/share/sgml transition

On Thursday, September 6, Ardo van Rangelrooij wrote:

Hi Ardo,

Good to hear from you.

> I was just checking how many and which packages still have stuff installed
> under /usr/lib/sgml and we're almost there. :-)

> Can I file bug reports against these package or is it better to make them
> wishlists?

For now, I'd do wishlists at most. After a lengthy break, the
LSB-xml-sgml spec discussion/development is about to begin anew -- and
there will likely be substantial changes for the xml part. Dan
Veillard (libxml, xslt,...) & I have exchanged a few messages and
we're ready to jump start the process. Maybe even today. (I'm
currently finishing a proposal so I can get paid to manage that
process... No uploads til the proposal is finished:-))

Again, the activity will be on the lsb-xml-sgml list when it starts up
again. Note that the host for both the archives [1] and the list
posting address [2] and have changed.

There are also some issues with, or not addressed by the SGML
component of the spec that we ought to look at from the debian
perspective. Some opints are purely debian policy issues, and some are
directly connected to LSB. For example:

1. Entity References in Upstream Files (mods, dtds, ...)

   Should we _always_ change the SYSTEM ids in entity definitions to
   debian-specific relative paths, thereby assuming the user has no
   catalog support. And when should we retain the PUBLIC ID?

   Example:

	In the case of the jrefentry.dtd [3], the upstream source
	defines the full docbook xml dtd as the entity '%docbook' and
	then references it as follows:

     <!ENTITY % docbook PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
         "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd";>
      %docbook;

  To be on the safe side, when I packaged this dtd I changed the
  SYSTEM ID to a relative path and ditched the PUBLIC ID like so:

      <!ENTITY % docbook SYSTEM "../../../dtd/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd">
       %docbook;

  As soon as I upload my packages, we'll have tr9401 catalog support
  for xml docs (via saxon, xt, xalan), complete with docbook html chunking
  - maybe xsltproc is there already... (But not XML catalog support
  until we decide where to put everything.) Does this mean we should
  assume xml document authors have installed the appropriate catalog
  tools?

  The arbortext catalog classes qualify for inclusion in main, but
  they don't support XML Catalogs. OTOH, the Sun Resolver classes are
  a definite non-free, and they do it all.

  See my point? We either assume catalog support OR fix upstream
  entity defs.

2. Should we** require SYSTEM entries in the local
   catalogs?

   Doing so would allow effective catalog usage (and hence validation)
   of even FPI-free xml source docs such as the following:

   Example:

   <!DOCTYPE book SYSTEM
       "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd";>

     (** 'we' refers to the debian-sgml-policy-hacks who actually read
      messages like this one.)

And with the sgml part of the LSB spec, here's an item:

3. Centralized Catalogs [4]

   Our implementation doesn't add any functionality, and the
   recommended method isn't realistically implementable:

     " + the centralized catalogs [are] used as central source of
      information that is specific to docbook, tei, or any other DTD"[4]

   the example given is:

     -- sample contents of /etc/sgml/foo-1.05.cat --
      CATALOG /usr/share/sgml/foo/xml-dtd-1.05/catalog
      CATALOG /usr/share/sgml/foo/xsl-stylesheets-0.1/catalog

   For, say, docbook-xml on debian, this'd mean we put all
   "docbook-xml related" catalogs in /etc/sgml/docbook-xml.cat. But
   this notion is ill-defined at best. Do catalogs from the website
   package, the dsssl stylesheets, the xsl stylesheets, etc. all go
   into /etc/sgml/docbook-xml.cat?

   Of course, it is possible to do this sort of thing sensibly by
   creating a quantity that somehow describes more general
   relationships between packages (or by simply looking for a depends,
   recommends, or suggests. And you guys would have to substantially
   beef up the catalog-updating scripts, as well. But, all that effort
   would still IMHO seem moot: catalogs (esp. xml catalogs) already
   take care of these issues.

   BTW, if you want to generate your own hardcopy of the lsb-sgml-spec
   draft, download the sgml source and process it to your taste. [5]

4. [FYI] DTDs for Generating Valid XML Catalog Files

   Finally, I collected the dtd and some test docs for the new OASIS
   XML Catalog spec [6]. I also wrote a customization layer for the
   catalog dtd that adds a few additional elements to provide full
   support for the tr9401 catalog semantics.

   The upshot being that we can now map the old tr9401 catalog entries
   to xml catalog elements in a one-to-one fashion. I also generated
   content models for both dtds, for the sake of comparison. See the
   ME-YOU-SHOULD-READ file at the url in [7] for more info.

Back to writing...<sigh duration="excessive"/>
Mark