Re: State of the Art wrt XML/XSL.

On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 10:20:33AM -0400, Mark W. Eichin wrote:
> actually, sablotron (which is in woody) does a fairly good job of XSLT
> for something as early beta as it is, yet it is both DFSG-free C++
> code, and about 5x faster than the java equivalent (in some primitive
> tests of mine, I doubt that number is accurate in either direction for
> larger processing efforts...)

First of all, thanks for your help and good advices to all!

I try both sablotron and james clark java sax driver on the
xsl-fo stylesheets for TEI by Sebastian Rahtz
( http://users.ox.ac.uk/~rahtz/tei/ ) without any succes:
The first one segfault and the second one eat all my memory.
I'm currently invistigating on the first one (since I don't
know how to in java) and the second one was used by the
upstream author (BTW, I'm usign kaffe for this, and I don't
know how much stable it is.)

After that I have to check for the FO formatter. I know two
of them, both in Debian (really the greatest distribution for
sgml on ANY os), the first one in java (lib-fop-java and just
able to do PDF), and the second one in tex (xmltex, which also
included passivetex in its examples directory). If I can get
the latest to work for me, I'll surely make it a special
package just like jadetex to ease my task.

So, currently, dsssl using jade seems the only working solution
for big DTD like DocBook or TEI. Sablotron and even jclark
sax driver doesn't seem to do the job even if I use the former
for smaller xsl job. Do you have any other way to make printing
output using XML/XSL?

I also just upload a XPath perl module which included a useful
script (heavily modified by me and contribute back to the
upstream author) for querying XML document using XPath
pointers (truely useful for XML scripting!). I'm looking forward
to add some little formatting features to the result so that people
can use it as an intermediate between simple XPath queries and XSLT.
Think of it as a simpler awk for xml (extract xml informations and
reformat the output in one tool).

Again, thanks for your help and advices!

See ya!

[Take note that I will be to OLS next week, somebody else
will be there?]

--
Fabien Niñoles                /  /          fabien@tzone.org