Re: First beta version of the Debian SGML/XML HOWTO

On Thursday 11 November 1999, at 10 h 25,
Kenshi Muto <kmuto@debian.org> wrote:

> Yes, UTF-8 is good solution, but at now, it has some problem.

OK, I understand. It's a real pain because the "clean" and standard solution
(Unicode, specially in its UTF-8 encoding) came too late and therefore many
people are entrenched in other encodings (like Latin-1 for me), which are
difficult to change (software, habits, documentation, etc).

>     it doesn't support UTF-8 (Of course, I can convert to UTF-8 by "lv").

Or GNU "recode".

> bortzmeyer> <http://www.debian.org/~bortz/SGML-HOWTO/potato/howto.ja.html> and, if it is
> bortzmeyer> fine, I'll commit.
>
> It seems UTF-8.

Oh, yes. This is because XML::Parser (actually, expat, its low-level library)
always output (because it is the XML way) UTF-8, regardless of the input
encoding. I can use recode to recode it to anything. Should I translate it
back to EUC-JP before sending it to jade? Any other advices? It's the first
time I manage a english/japanese Web server :-)

--
http://www.debian.org/~bortz/