Re: Docbook

> Theorem: for every positive integer N, there is a TeX file which needs N
> passes to be properly processed.

That's a special case of the stronger statement "One can construct a
TeX file which does not converge."  Using "normal" editting, the only
way it is *likely* to occur involves many (or large font) page numbers
and/or floats such that the n-th pass yields a forward reference page
number ending in 1,  which then on the (n+1)th pass is actually
typeset and narrow enough that the reference itself ends up on the
forward.

This is more of a TUG-level theoretical concern, I've never seen a
non-contrived example (and it is easy to avoid) but I might suggest
that in practice, just make sure that any clever iterative hack will
*give up* after some small number of iterations to let a human tweak
it (and save the non-contrived example for submission to one of the
TeX journals :-)

[I suspect that this is actually a property of *any* sufficiently
advanced reference system, but I haven't kept up with the computer
typesetting literature in the last 10 years or so...]