Re: security-tracker: A proposal to significantly reduce reported false-positives (no affected-code shipped)

* [Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 11:11:20PM +0100] Samuel Henrique:
On the proposed solution I also mention that we can use the "(free text
comment)" section to indicate that, while sticking to "not-affected", this
would simplify things as no new value is needed. But parsing the cases where
only the sources contain the vulnerable code might be a bit harder.
Not only it's the parsing harder, but it also is a "lesser" warning than an "affected" status.

I'm curious though as to what is the usecase of that, no other Linux
distribution specifies the case where only the source carries the
vulnerability.

My impression is that Debian currently does, even if imperfectly, by marking the package as vulnerable and setting the unimportant bit.

What would be the need for this as a user? If this is a need you have, could you clarify it, please?

Definitively it isn't a need, I would call it an expectation. I used to recompile a lot of Debian packages, usually for backporting, and I guess I've always assumed that a package marked not-vulnerable would not bring the vulnerability back when, e.g., linked against a previous version of a library. Or, e.g., I would not consider not-vulnerable a package shipping a malicious example script. But I concede that creating a binary-only tag has its own issues. For example, a vulnerability could only affect some architectures, and that means you should now differentiate not only per package name and "form" (source or binary), but also per architecture.

Cheers,
Gian Piero.