Re: Upcoming changes to Debian Linux kernel packages

Hi Michel

On Sun, Oct 01, 2023 at 12:19:22PM +0200, Michel Verdier wrote:
> On 2023-10-01, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > Ah, here lays the missconception.  No, the 6.6 ones are not removed.  Why
> > should they be?  The system knows it can't rebuild them.
> As the old kernel driver is not rebuild it perhaps could break things if
> libraries/programs are tied on a specific version of the driver

So you upgrade the driver and libaries and suddenly your system fails
until you reboot?  Okay, I could imaging NVidia doing something like
tying libraries to kernel modules.  At least in the past they replaced
gl libraries that did not longer work with X forwarding.

Could you please name the culprit, or is this just a theoretical
problem?

However what if the new driver does not build with the old kernel?

There are endless possibilities to break this.  Which ones are important
and can be supported?

Bastian

--
Well, Jim, I'm not much of an actor either.