Re: Apache doesn't restart after new libssl is installed

Henrik Ahlgren wrote:
On Wed, 2023-02-08 at 14:01 +0000, Phil Endecott wrote:
Whose responsibility is this? Should the Apache package somehow
know that it needs to restart itself? Should the libssl package
do something to cause Apache to restart? Should the unattended-
upgrades package know to restart Apache when libssl has been
upgraded?

I know there is a mechanism of some kind to cause daemons to
restart when libraries they use are being replaced; is that just
for libc updates, or something?

Have a look into the needrestart package, which is suggested, but not
required, by unattended-upgrades.

Thanks for the suggestion - yes, this does seem to be what I need.

I may file a bug suggesting that this is installed (and enabled)
by default, in particular for the Debian cloud images which have
had unattended-upgrades installed for longer than other systems.
Fundamentally I think that unattended-upgrades without restarting
daemons is just giving a false sense of security. Thoughts anyone?

Regards, Phil.