Re: amd64 running on Intel Celeron and Pentium? (was: [SECURITY] [DSA 5113-1] firefox-esr security update)

On 14.04.22 10:37, Paul Wise wrote:
On Tue, 2022-04-12 at 05:59 +0200, Friedhelm Waitzmann wrote:

And if it is indeed possible, how can I switch from i386 to
amd64?  Can this be done with the apt tools?  Then during the
migrating some packages will be from amd64 already while others
will be still i386.  How does that go right?

If your hardware supports it, you can either reinstall from scratch or
cross-grade an existing install from i386 to amd64, either using the
crossgrader tool or more manual methods of doing the same thing.

https://packages.debian.org/crossgrader
https://wiki.debian.org/CrossGrading

If I had to do it, I would just upgrade to Debian 11. It is most easy to do and you do not need things like a crossgrader tool. Though the procedure seems somewhat difficult to me, it is interesting to know that something like crossgrading exists and where you find documentation about it.