Re: Bullseye security.debian.org codename misconfigured?

On 1/23/22, Stefan Fritsch <sf@sfritsch.de> wrote:
> Am 22.01.22 um 21:07 schrieb Bjørn Mork:
>> Stefan Fritsch <sf@sfritsch.de> writes:
>>
>>> # cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/11-default-release
>>> APT::Default-Release "bullseye";
>>
>> Just don't do that.  It breaks all normal preferences and will end up
>> preferring "bullseye" over anything else.  Including
>> "bullseye-security".
>
> This used to work until buster. But it turns out the release-notes
> mention this problem and the correct syntax is now:
>
> APT::Default-Release "/^bullseye(|-security|-updates)$/";
>

> The failure mode of silently not installing security updates is bad,
> though. But I don't see an easy way to fix that. Maybe apt should print
> a warning if one uses a simple codename as Default-Release?

Congratulations on finding the fix. That's cool. It falls in line with
how the repositories are declared.

With respect to a proposed warning, I spent years naively a-suming
that security updates were part of the primary, single line repository
declaration. A little 4-watt light bulb went off overhead during a
Debian-User exchange a couple years ago. Prior to that thread, I'd
been on outside security tech lists and had seen major update
advisories but could never figure out why I was not seeing those same
packages update on my Debian.

This type of ongoing warning might upset some longstanding Users...
unless there was a way to have it only be once a month.. or.. maybe
have a way to trigger it off permanently via the command line
interface for e.g. apt and apt-get.

Another alternative could evolve into a teaching moment by having a
warning state where to turn the warning OFF in e.g. an apt or apt-get
config file. It could be something like the very fix found for this