Re: Huge Intel CPU Bug Allegedly Causes Kernel Memory Vulnerability With Up To 30% Performance Hit

On Wed, 03 Jan 2018, Vincent Deffontaines wrote:
> It is not fixable by microcode, and requires ugly patching from the kernel
> layer. Other OSes such as Microsoft are concerned as well.

Nobody but Intel knows whether it is fixable in microcode or not for a
given processor family.  And Intel has *NOT* published any public
information about this yet, AFAIK.

Take for example the LAPIC memory sinkhole issue[1], which is quite
dangerous (allows for persistent, stealth ring -2 malware that is
invisible to the BIOS, hypervisor and operating system).  It was widely
discussed, it was officialy acknowledged, and it was touted everywhere
as "impossible to fix" in microcode because it was an architectural
thing.

Well, the LAPIC issue was not just fixable in microcode: it *was indeed
fixed* by a set of microcode updates.  The fixing was done silently(!),
though.  My best guess is that this particular set of updates could not
be issued to the wide public because it *does* change an architectural
behavior, and thus it is supposed to always be deployed along with a
BIOS update to ensure compatibility.  But it is available to vendors,
and at least one vendor of corporate desktops and servers *did* deploy
such firmware updates with the new microcode for systems with processors
as old as the Core2 duo...

Most likely, this new X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE issue either cannot be fixed
in microcode on every affected processor model (some have more hardwired
paths than others) so you would still need a software-level fix anyway,
or it is just too painful performance-wise to do it in the microcode.

But this, too, is just speculation.  Until Intel document it somewhere
public, I am not assuming it is not possible to fix it with an microcode
update.

[1] http://www8.hp.com/us/en/intel-processor-memory-sinkhole.html

--
  Henrique Holschuh