Re: [buildd-tools-devel] Some Debian package upgrades are corrupting rsync "quick check" backups
Just following up on this thread. As it's been a while, here's the
... but AIUI, the issue is as follows. Naturally, let me know if this
a poor or inaccurate summary:
* binNMUs do not bump debian/changelog.
* This causes mtimes to to not be bumped in the (actually modified!)
* Backup programs (eg. rsync) will therefore not believe a binary has
changed and thus will be skipped over.
* A binary restored from such a backup may not execute correctly.
* Asking users to change anything at all is always problematic, but
to ask them to switch to using (for example) --checksum with its
non-trivial performance penalty is a very difficult ask indeed.
Some backup programs may not even support such a mode anyway…
My questions are as follows:
a) Has anything changed in the meantime?
b) Will this affect stretch? If so, what do we need to do now?
: :' : Chris Lamb
`. `'` email@example.com / chris-lamb.co.uk