Re: Some Debian package upgrades are corrupting rsync "quick check" backups

Adam Warner wrote...

> Why is a 27 January recompilation of the source package purporting to
> have the same modification time as the original binary package
> distributed 16 days earlier?

Lemme guess: For the sake of reproducible builds, the timestamp of all
created files is set to the time of the latest changelog entry.

> I suggest an rsync --checksum test on your backups (using
> --itemize-changes and --dry-run to check for modifications without
> making changes to the destination).

This is an ugly situation. Always using --checksum brings a huge penalty
indeed. The rsync program could take the source file's ctime into
account but I doubt there's support for that.

To me it seems saner to change Debian's workflow. Adding a new changelog
entry for a binNMU would break a lot of things, though. The least
intrusive but quite hacky way I can think of was to modify the timestamp
by adding one second for the first binNMU and so on. Nothing that gets
implemented over night, though.

    Christoph