Re: vulnerability in 8.6

Hi Salvatore, Ozgur,

You posted this url; https://www.debian.org/security/2016/dsa-3696

I've been looking in to this exploit, and did what Ozgur found on
Github, and I learned that my system is vulnerable. I had a difference,
which is that dirtyc0w, did overwrite the read-only 'foo' file, but it
hang, and it also did write up to the length of the original content of
that file. So my 'foo' was six bytes long and I attempted to overwrite
with a longer sequence, and it stopped. After seeing this had happened,
I started over with a new 'foo' file, and this time I attempted a
shorter byte sequence and it also hang. From what I've read, it doesn't
seem to hang.

I'm guessing that overwriting the sudoers file for example would make
the exploiter a rooted user on the exploited system..

But, I have looked for a update and I went to Debian package search and
searched for; 'kernel image 686
pae' [https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=stable&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=kernel+image+686+pae]

This gave one result, which is; 'kernel-image-3.16.0-4-686-pae-di' and
written with that, 'Linux kernel binary image for the Debian installer
3.16.36-1+deb8u1: i386'

And I read that I need a '+deb8u2' kernel?

Can someone explain to me what to do next? I have the assumption that a
'apt-get install "name-of-required-kerne-package"' would be sufficient?

If not, can someone point me in the right direction on what to do,
because the link Salvatore posted, it says on that page;

'For the stable distribution (jessie), these problems have been fixed in
version 3.16.36-1+deb8u2.

We recommend that you upgrade your linux packages.'

--
Richard Waterbeek <richardwbb@versatel.nl>