Re: tailored security annoucements for Debian Stable

On 03/02/2016 04:45 PM, Andrew Deck wrote:
> The existing tool for this (I think there may be multiple, but the one
> I'm familiar with) is debsecan.
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianSecurity/debsecan
>
> Which seems to have all the features you'd want:
> https://scottlinux.com/2015/04/01/debsecan-get-an-emailed-report-of-pending-debian-security-updates/

Thank you all for your quick answers. I searched a bit before asking but
search engines have their limits.
I already knew about unattended upgrades but they sound a bit too risky
for production.
apticron is not security oriented and, as far as i know, it needs lots
of tweaking to limit itself to security updates.

debsecan seems to be perfect for what I need.

debsecan offers a daily email warning by default but I couldn't
understand if it is sent at a fixed time or as soon as new security
fixes get available...

I ended up adding an @hourly cron job with this command:
debsecan --suite wheezy --only-fixed --format report --mailto
my@email.com --update-history

I wonder if I will be warned only once when new security fixes appear or
on an hourly basis until I upgrade the server...

--
OpenPGP / GPG key: 0x14B7E62420E51038
I encrypt emails with GPG, Thunderbird & Enigmail.