Re: are unattended updates a good idea?

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 02:50:31PM +0100, Ml Ml wrote:
> Thank you very much! Your comments has been really helpful.
>
> Cheers,
> Mario
>
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 12:53 PM, Michael Zoet <Michael.Zoet@zoet.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >>
> >> Hello List,
> >>
> >> i have got about 50 Debian 6+7 Servers. They are doing all kind of
> >> things like Webserver, Mailserver, DNS, etc…
> >>
> >> I am using apticron to keep track of the updates, but i seem to use
> >> more and more time updating the hosts.

Also, you should note that some services might be restarted automatically
during this process, so if you have long running nightly jobs or something
similar it might cause some issues. This issue could also true in reverse;
Some service might have to be manually restarted to load updated libraries
and such.

MySQL server upgrades might break nightly jobs because of restarts, kernel
upgrades would probably need a reboot etc so you should keep an eye on
these things.

That being said: We have used unattended-upgrades on our servers for a
couple of years and we have never had any problems with the packages
themselves yet though, so this seems to be a smaller problem. Still, you
should consider having a test server with tools like "needsrestart" and
"apt-listchanges", and a test suite for your applications to check if
they still work with the new packages and that every service is back to
normal afterwards.

Just sharing my thoughts about this.

- Daniel