Re: [SECURITY] [DSA 3148-1] chromium-browser end of life

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 5:44 PM, Darius Jahandarie wrote:
>> Security support for the chromium web browser is now discontinued
>> for the stable distribution (wheezy).  Chromium upstream stopped
>> supporting wheezy's build environment (gcc 4.7, make, etc.), so
>> there is no longer any practical way to continue building security
>> updates.
>
> How unfortunate.
>
> Was this due to the chromium team not being aware of this consequence?

No, it was a conscious decision (they considered Debian specifically):
http://phajdan-jr.blogspot.com/2014/08/can-your-distro-compile-chromium.html

> What can we do to make it easier and more compelling for upstreams to
> continue supporting popular build environments needed for keeping the
> internet safe?

Another option is to update build environments to support all of the
features upstreams want to use, but that doesn't fit well with
Debian's long-term stable model.  I spent time looking into that, but
with jessie releasing soon (with a sufficient build environment), I
didn't have the motivation or time to do that.

Best wishes,
Mike