Re: CVE-2014-6277, CVE-2014-6278

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014, john wrote:
> So I am confused. I think what I am reading here is that if you applied
> the latest patches to bash [3] you are not vulnerable to CVE-2014-6277.
> CVE-2014-6278. Running the test outlined on Icamtuf.blogspot.co.nz [4]
> seemed to confirm that.

AFAIK, we are still vulnerable to CVE-2014-6277 and CVE-2014-6278, but not
through any interesting attack vectors:  Debian included the RedHat change
that moves the functions to the BASH_FUNC_<name>() namespace in the DSA-3035
fix.

However, should someone find a way to inject BASH_FUNC_foo()='<whatever
triggers these undisclosed bugs>' into the environment, the attack is going
to succeed.  To twart that, we have to wait until the embargo is lifted and
the real fix for CVE-2014-6277 and CVE-2014-6278 gets uploaded/published.

  Henrique Holschuh