Re: Debians security features in comparison to Ubuntu

herzogbrigitte1@t-online.de <herzogbrigitte1@t-online.de> schrieb:
> Hello there,
> I'm a new user of the great Debian distro for my Desktop. But when I talked to a friend and I told him, that I'm using Debian (Wheezy) for my desktop computer, he told me that I shoudn't use it because it is not secure. He told me to use Ubuntu instead. He explained that with the fact, that Ubuntu has more security features enabled than Debian (also more compiler flags for security) in a fresh install.

Your friend has missed a very important aspect:
Ubuntu only provides security support for the "main" and "restricted"
archive sections: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/FAQ#Official_Support
But since the "universe" section is enabled by default, you'll end up
with a lot of unpatched security vulnerabilities on Ubuntu systems.

Cheers,
        Moritz