Re: NSA software in Debian

On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 20:29 +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jan 2014, Marko Randjelovic <markoran@eunet.rs> wrote:
> > > I would also like this. Yesterday I started compiling 3.2.54 with grsec
> > > and PaX. A ready debian kernel(-source) with grsec and PaX would be
> > > fine. Currently I am distributing my special packages via my own
> > > repository - is there any concern when making it public (copyright,
> > > etc.)?
> >
> > I managed to do it from official kernel 3.2.51-1. I removed all
> > features/* patches without consideration because there were to many of
> > them (905). Than I had to remove many other patches to resolve
> > conflicts. If patch file f is patched consequently by patches p1, p2,
> > if patch p1 is removed, then p2 may fail.
>
> The correct thing to do is just prepare a GRSecurity patch that applies on top
> of the Debian kernel patches.

That will be an unholy mixture not supported by either Debian or
GRSecurity.  May I remind you of #605090; in particular:

> At one time (10+ years ago) I was maintaining
> patches for GRSecurity and LSM/SELinux and doing this for every new Debian
> kernel package and new version of GRSecurity and LSM/SELinux.
>
> http://packages.debian.org/jessie/linux-patch-grsecurity2
[...]

I bet it doesn't apply to 3.2.y any more... no, it doesn't.  Bug opened
(#736925).

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein