Re: dropbear delayed startup

Lukas,
  cryptsetup does not encrypted filesystems, so you must be mistaken
if you believe that you are "remote unlocking of encrypted
filesystems" with cryptsetup.  Be specific about your configuration,
this is important in this case.  Those looking for assistance are in
no position to be determining what is and/or is not important.

Are you perchance taking about fully encrypted systems as in:
http://www.howtoforge.com/remotely-unlock-fully-encrypted-debian-squeeze

What issue do you have, sounds like you are just generally concerned.
 You should direct concerns to the authors of the software you are
concerned about, no many others would care or be in any position to
answer.

If you followed the above instructions it's possible that during the
start of dropbear there is vary little entropy required/used until you
auth over ssh.  If you skipped the step where of saving host keys into
your initrd, then this could be your issue as dropbear's initscripts
should 'block' startup while entropy is collected.

Is that the behavior you are seeing?  If each startup is generating
ssh host keys, that's vary bad and should be avoided.

AUMK urandom is not delayed if there is no entropy available.
Applications should not be looking there for entropy, that would be a
bug in the application.  I'm unfamiliar with a method for determining
the entropy of bytes read from urandom, an interesting concept.

Only a dropbear developer would be able to insist that urandom is only
used when appropriate.  Only you can prevent the re-generation of ssh
host keys.