Re: possible /dev/random compromise (misplaced trust in RDRAND / Padlock entropy sources)

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013, Robert Millan wrote:
> "we are going to backtrack and remove RDRAND and Padlock backends and feed
> them into Yarrow instead of delivering their output directly to /dev/random.

Yeah, I think Linux went through similar blindness braindamage sometime ago,
but blind trust on rdrand has been fixed for a long time now, and it never
trusted any of the other HRNGs (or used them for anything at all without a
trip through "rng-tools" userspace until v3.12).

> Advice from Security Team would be appreciated in order to determine which
> action needs to be taken in Debian.

IMO, Debian kernels ought to never blindly trust RDRAND, or any other HRNG,
for anything related to /dev/random.

Note that the kernel can trust such in-cpu, high-bandwidth/low-latency HRNGs
for other uses that are not related to key material (such as to implement
ASLR).

> kfreebsd 8.3 and 9.0 (wheezy):
> 	Sets Via chipset to serve /dev/random unconditionally whenever detected,
> 	but only on i386 (not amd64). Does not support Intel entropy source.
> 	(see sys/dev/random/probe.c)

Backporting the fix to these kernels might be a good idea, probably best
routed through an stable update upload (and not a security upload).

> kfreebsd 9.2 (jessie / sid):
> 	Sets Via or Intel chipset to serve /dev/random when detected,
> 	unless hw.nehemiah_rng_enable or hw.ivy_rng_enable are set to zero
> 	to disable them.

Remove, switch to kfreebsd 10.  Either that, or backport the fix from
kfreebsd 10.

> kfreebsd 10~ (sid):
> 	All versions in Debian already have the fixed code, which replaces
> 	random_adaptor_register() with live_entropy_source_register(), thereby
> 	registering Via and Intel chips as "entropy sources" to be post
> 	processed by Yarrow, rather than directly as "random adaptors".

Quite acceptable, as it means we'd have the same policy across Linux and
kFreeBSD.

  Henrique Holschuh