Von: envygeeks@gmail.com [mailto:envygeeks@gmail.com] Im Auftrag von Jordon Bedwell
Gesendet: Montag, 9. Dezember 2013 09:25
An: Hey, Lukas (KRZ)
Cc: Debian
Betreff: Re: End-user laptop firewall available?

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 2:12 AM, Hey, Lukas (KRZ) <L.Hey@krz.de> wrote:
> C'mon guys,
>
> you spend way too much time discussing packet filtering rules and programs for a machine which is hooked up via modem. Of course you can avoid things that "might happen" when dialed up or connected to some public wifi.
>
> From my point of view: Leave it as it is! I'm far beyond the point where I "need" some bleeding edge Gentoo system on my laptop which is protected by some 80 line iptables setup. Nowadays I have Lubuntu w/o any packet filtering. And there is some public IPv6 in my private network.
>
> You should rather worry if the announced gateway at the public library
> is the real one ;)

You use Lubuntu which means you should have UFW installed by default which has those "80 lines" of protection are built-in and is even designed for the average home network.  And if you don't use that, I call that ignorant but mostly lazy security because it doesn't take a lot of work to type: "sudo ufw enable && sudo ufw default deny" and "sudo ufw allow <port>" unless you want to start to constrain it by tcp/udp and interface and even then it's not that complicated to type:
"sudo ufw allow in on eth0 to any from any port <port> proto <proto>".

What it does it mean when you don't even use the tools given to you that are easy?