Re: How secure is an installation with with no non-free packages?

My understanding of the microcode binary blobs is that they provide
updates to your processor / BIOS that usually have no free
alternative. So basically, your BIOS is probably already non-free and
you might as well have the latest version... so yes, installing the
firmware-linux-nonfree package is probably wise.

This page has a little more information on what microcode is and why
these binary blobs are unfortunately often necessary:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Microcode

Someone with more specific knowledge should feel free to chime in here
as I am not an expert on this subject.

Cheers,