Re: NULL Scan issues or something else?

This is exactly why a higher level interface should be considered.  If
you go about setting your own low level iptables rules then you would
also have the task of testing those rules.

I use shorewall and I've used firhol, both are good.  Please consult
there results(the tables they generate) for stable/widely used examples.
 Plus if you find that they are open to (insert your fav attack here)
then it's much more helpful for the community to get these tools fixed
then would be to fix up your mind enough so that you understand the
implications of iptable rules.