Re: What is this? "john" under cron.d??? Debian Squeeze

On 12 November 2012 03:55, Jamie M <jamiemartell@northwestel.net> wrote:
> Just noticed an unfamiliar file in my Debian Squeeze: is called "john" found
> in cron.d.
>
> Does anyone know if this is a security risk, when all of a sudden I notice
> this file?
>
> Thank you and anything anyone can add is appreciated.

As you can see yourself if you search the package database (see [1])
the John password cracking program installs a 'john' task in
/etc/cron.d in order to test the system user's password strength every
so often.

There is nothing to worry about.

Next time you are worried about a file in your system, try using 'dpkg
-S <filename>' to find which package has installed it there.

Regards

Javier

[1] http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=john&mode=exactfilename&suite=stable&arch=any