Notification of security updates

I am considering the deployment of some Debian servers on a closed
network that is not connected to the internet, and would like a way to
be automatically notified of any security updates for packages on that
server.

Whilst I could subscribe to the security-announce mailing list, this
would mean receiving all security announcements, and I am trying to make
this as low-overhead as possible.

I am aware that I can update a standalone installation automatically
using apt-offline, and that I can use apticron to be notified of updates
for an online server, but neither of these meet the requirements of the
above.

So, I thought it would be good to have a system that could have a list
of packages uploaded to it, and then have that system email a
notification when an update is available.

What are people's thoughts on this? Is there anything similar available?
Or should I try and do a proof of concept in my own environment, for
potential inclusion on debian.org?

Thanks,

Andy