Re: pre-screening new package: SQLCipher, based on SQLite3

Hello Florian,

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
Okay.  Can your fork open unencrypted databases?  Are there any symbol
collisions with vanilla SQLite?

Yes, SQLCipher can open standard, unencrypted SQLite databases without a problem and it has the same public API  and symbols as vanilla SQLite. Many users take advantage of this today to allow substitution in languages like python and ruby. For example they may build SQLCipher in a separate directory then set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to load the SQLCipher-enhanced library for use in their programs.

I believe this is is the reason Hans opted to alter the library name to libsqlcipher, to ensure there wouldn't be any confusion between the two, but I'll let him comment on that further.

Cheers,
Stephen