Re: Upcoming stable point release (6.0.5)

On 30/04/2012 22:19, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The next point release for "squeeze" (6.0.5) is scheduled for Saturday
> May 12th.  Stable NEW will be frozen during the preceding weekend
> (5/6th).

Hi there.

I have a question about these point releases.

How are they different to the usual drip-feed of security updates that
you get from day-to-day via 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade' ?  Are
point updates likely to contain non-security related fixes? i.e.
important but not CRITICAL updates?

I'm just wondering why they're needed at all? Unless it's just so that
it's helpful for people downloading the current stable to not have to
install a vast quantity of updates post-install on a fresh system?