Re: Dedicated server vs. VPS

Hi,

This should probably be discussed off-list, anyway - the one that has the
most dedicated resources and has the best security policy. Generally when
it comes to keeping the kernel/system tools updated it's all about your
own OS since it's usually "independent" from the hostnode. Except kernel
in the openvz-case where the provider is responsible of keeping the kernel
up to date. There will always be undiscovered holes in the kernel and/or
toolchain but a hoster that does not put their hardware nodes on the
internet is one step closer to good security.

There is no way you can "restrict" a hosters access to your VPS, that's
basically true for DS as well if you have the root-password in some sort
of control-panel or if the support has it for some reason.

Basically, depending on what type of security you really want, both is as
secure as you make them - or as the provider makes it. There will always
be a risk of getting "owned".

//T

On Mon, March 5, 2012 00:28, Stayvoid wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Which one is more secure?
> VPS is usually cheaper then DS so I don't really want to pay extra
> money for nothing.
>
> I also want to restrict hoster's access to my machine. Is it possible with
> VPS?
> There was an accident with Linode. [1] An intruder accessed one of
> Linode's services and customers machines as well.
>
> [1] http://status.linode.com/2012/03/manager-security-incident.html
>
> Cheers

-- Timh